8.06.2013

House Changes

We've made a few tweaks around here, and I'm pleased with the outcome.  Until we have a place of our own, I have to settle for rearranging furniture and creating a space that feels as homey as possible.  Sometimes little changes can make a big difference.


Where there once was a huge, gross black hole of a TV, there is now a pretty desk.  We very rarely used that TV and I was getting tired of the waste of space, and of not having anywhere to use my computer besides on the kitchen table.  We had a desk in the guest room, but never used it, so we moved this one into the living room.  We use it all of the time (like right now, for instance), and I think it looks much prettier and cozier than having a big TV there.


Where there once was a chair, there now is a bar cart.  Tony deserves to have a proper bar area, but for now, this is the best I can do.  I wasn't using this cart very well where it was before, so I decided to reorganize and create this cute little area where Tony can make drinks.  It's a much more appealing use of space, I think.  And it's fun to have a "bar."


The chair moved to where the cart used to be, and I like how much cleaner and less cluttered it all looks.  


And the last change is our custom-covered throw pillows.  For Mother's Day, my dad and Tony bought a sewing machine for my mom and me to share, and our first project was to make five slipcovers for throw pillows.  We think they turned out pretty darn well for our very first attempt at anything.  I love the pops of color in the living room--they were much needed to add a little life.



Our apartment is a mixture of hand-me-downs with history, Ikea furniture with dings and dents, and treasures and trinkets we have collected independently and together.  It certainly doesn't look like a magazine, and we hope for some changes someday, but for now, it's home--and we like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment