We are buying a house!!
If all goes well (and there's still a long way to go), we will be homeowners by the end of the year, and you, dear readers (all 5 of you), will get to see before and after pictures from then until eternity.
While on a walk a few weeks ago, we saw an old house for sale, in need of a lot of work and with a pretty terrible yard. But on a bit of a whim we decided to look at it, and long-story-short, we are buying it. Yippee!
As you can imagine, ever since we looked at it, my mind has been overflowing with ideas about renovations, paint colors, furniture placements and pleasant little scenes of my family enjoying our own home... But now that it's a reality, Tony and I are beginning to discuss those things together, and that is so much more exciting.
Last night we talked about the styles of decor that we like, and while we talked and looked at photos on Pinterest to help us understand each other's likes and dislikes, I realized how immersed in a "Pinterest" culture I have become.
It seems that everywhere you look, people's homes and lives are now "picture perfect." On blogs, on Pinterest, everywhere else, people are trying so hard to make their homes--and their meals and their outfits--look perfect. And I find myself falling into the same trap, wondering if my life is Pinterest-worthy. But that's completely backwards. And it's not what a home--or a life--is about. Though I certainly believe a home should be beautiful, that has nothing to do with how it will look in photos.
As we scrolled through my Pinterest board entitled "DayDream Home," I began to realize that though the photos were appealing because of certain aspects, they weren't what I actually wanted my home to look like. Nothing about them was me, let alone us, and therefore nothing about them was home at all. I realized I must step out of this little day dream world to see the beauty and perfection of creating a home that is simply ours, and therefore completely unique from any room I see in pictures.
We want our home to be comfortable and inviting, to be made up of little pieces that we love--or at least that have a story. We want it to be warm and homey, light and bright. We want artwork that we love, photos of our travels, books and books and books, rugs that are comfortable under our toes and under our soon-to-be-crawling baby's knees. We want a home in which our family will grow and thrive and just be. It will be Tony's and my style put together--mixed and matched and full of life--our life.
As it turns out, I don't want to live in a magazine. I don't want to live in a blog. I don't care if others see my house and think it's cute or stylish or worth pinning. Purely and simply, I want to live in a home. Our home. And that dream is coming true.
No comments:
Post a Comment