7.28.2014

House Update: Marie's Room

Not long after moving in, Marie's room looked like this.  But as the little girl herself changes, it is necessary to make changes to her space, so her little room has gone through several different stages and currently looks like this (sorry for the poor photo quality).

Notable changes are:

-We hung curtains and an adorable bunting that I sewed for her first birthday.
-We added a Mary Cassatt painting, which every little girls' room should contain.
-We made a little bed on the floor--where Marie has been sleeping most of the time these days.



-I rearranged and cleaned up her bookshelves.  Though babies come with a lot of adorable junk to display, it just got to be too much.
-For her first birthday, my mom made Marie a beautiful family tree which sits on her bookshelf.  We love it! 



-I made Marie a little reading nook where she likes to sit and look at a book or play with her dollies (see photo two above).


-I replaced the lamp with one that I had as a little girl.


-We moved the toy shelf into the closet.  We haven't needed the changing table for a long, long time, so we replaced it with a shelf for toys.  This way, when it is nap time or bedtime, we can close the closet doors and eliminate much of the temptation for playing.


-I hung my calla lily panting above her crib.


Marie's room certainly doesn't look like a Pottery Barn room, and it's full of a mixture of very old and very new things.  My main goal is to keep it beautiful, neat and interesting.  I try to always move something around because when something moves, she is interested in it all over again.  I try to make it easy for her to access her toys and books.  I try to display the things that I love and the things that I hope she will grow to love.  I want her to be surrounded with a comfortable, homey, joyful space. 


No comments:

Post a Comment